1. Cardboard “baby boxes” may prove unsanitary when used regularly, no matter how pretty they look when we first see them.
2. There are potentially many opportunities for a cardboard “baby box” to be misused, damaged or be otherwise unsafe whereas approved retail bassinets would not be.
3. If parents need the financial support in acquiring a bassinet, there are many many organizations, second-hand retailers to ensure one be made available.
4. There are many decisions and challenges as parents that we will face in raising our children that we may or may not initially be aware of. Knowing that baby will need to sleep somewhere more obvious than the difference between a swaddler, swaddle cloth or transfer blanket.
5. It is misleading to claim that cardboard “baby boxes” will reduce the risk of SIDS/Infant Mortality using the Finnish model as an example because we are not living in 1938 Finland and do not face the same challenges they did. Canada also already has an incredibly low infant mortality rate thanks to the hard work of those in our healthcare system.
Despite claims, there is no provincial “baby box” program in Ontario at this time and we are aware of no baby “university” education receiving accreditation. If one were, we would be concerned about the implication that such an education could be a precursor for baby licensing. Yikes!
Our program is about more than just a box.
As a member of Baby Box Canada (becoming family.one) you have access to our giveaways and other great programs.
This, our second year, will be bigger than last year. We have a lot of great new programs, and we’re adding unique opportunities in collaboration with partner programs that we’ll be announcing over the coming months. We’re also working on more age appropriate boxes and services for you that will be made available as your children grow.
Please add *.babyboxcanada.org to your email whitelist (tell your email service never to send emails from our domain to spam). For instructions on how to do this, search google for “whitelist + your email client” i.e. gmail, outlook, yahoo, etc.